CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Grandpa Tervort

Well, this post is a sad one for me. I have been wanting to make it for a while, but I have been overwhelmed. Monday morning I was on my way to my new job. It was my first day and I had all the nerves of starting a new job. Just as I was about to head into my first meeting I got a call from my dad telling me that grandpa had just passed away. I was so sad. suddenly all those feelings of nervousness changed in a heartbeat, but it was a feeling less desirable than the nerves of starting a new job. What a loss. If today you asked me what i learned on my first day of work I would probably tell you I can't remember, but I sure do remember Grandpa. I sat through those 8 hours of meetings and didn't listen to one thing that was said, but just remembered. I love Grandpa Tervort, and it is a wonderful thing to know I will see him again.

If ever there was a couple of people in the world who made me fell like everything I did was important, it was Grandma and Grandpa Tervort! The way they would light up when even something remotely exciting would happen. When I got my new job I felt like I had just acquired the greatest job in the world, even though it was just a small job at the hospital.

Kolbi tells me all the time how much she loves grandpa and grandma. They have always treated her like they treat me, like she's the most special person in the world. She loved to listen to grandpa tell stories with the common interjection of "them suckers."

When Kolbi Graduated from UVSC she was about 4 days away from having Avonly. We were not sure she was even going to walk, but after talking for a while she decided she would. We just put the word out a few days before and didn't expect anyone to show up, we didn't figure that it was that exciting a thing to sit through. When I got there I sat down and looked around the auditorium and saw grandpa and grandma sitting by themselves and excited to be there. What amazing people. Not even their own grandchild and there they were with bells on! I am forever greatful for the continuous support.

When I was on my mission I heard from grandma all the time, and she sent grandpa's love with every letter, but he wasn't much of a writer. I didn't think much of it, because lets face it I am not a good writer myself. When i got home I would visit grandpa and grandma all the time and Grandpa would tell me stories from my mission that I didn't even remember happening. Even until just recently every time I saw grandpa he would remind me about my mission and how much he enjoyed my letters. Not much of what i wrote was all that exciting, but grandpa made me fell like it was the neatest experience anyone could have ever had in life!

I could sit all day and type stories of grandpa's support and love, but I am a fairly slow typer, all you need to know is that there is not a better grandpa in the world.

I love my Grandpa, and one of my goals in life is to be as good of a grandpa when I have grandkids as mine has been!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

He was the best -- Just like they treated Kolbi they have treated me. Just like I had always been one of their grandkids. I haven't had a grandpa alive since I was 11. I sort of adpoted him as my grandpa. oh my, I will miss him!!!! I worry about Grandma being with out him, they have been married FOREVER!!!!!

Bingham fam said...

Tommy that was really sweet of course it makes me teary eyed but it also makes me smile. What a man!! I love everyones stories of such a supportive grandpa. We sure have been lucky. Love ya!

Annie said...

Kolbi!
Thanks for the email and giving me the blog address! It's so good to hear from you! I'm so glad your sweet baby is okay! I can't even imagine what that must have been like! You are an amazing example of faith! I'll email you an invite to my blog this week. It's so fun to keep in touch with the "chicas." =)
Love ya!
Annie (Winegar)

Brittany said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa. He sounds like a great man. I feel bad that I missed your last day. Work just isn't the same.

mamateena said...

dito dito dito...thanks so much for your comments
aunt Teena

Mandi said...

Sorry! Keep his memory alive!